Naveen Kumar aged 20 years from Mannepalli village was a student with a reservoir of energy and talent. He had scored 88% in SSLC, 93% in Intermediate & 85% in first year of BE & is the only child of his parents. Unfortunately, his family’s economic condition did not do much to help his cause. As a last resort, his family had to go around his village asking for money to pay his second year engineering fees. This was brought to the notice of Swadha Foundation.
His application was even more compelling because:
- He was the only engineer in a hamlet of 4 villages.
- His parents sacrificed their comfort & split their responsibilities. While his Mother and son lived in small apartment ( provided free of cost by Naveen’s friends) in Bangalore, his dad, worked as a hotel waiter in Kolar, Karnataka, to earn the only source of revenue for the family.
We felt that this student & his parents deserved better. After ascertaining his academic credentials and checking the veracity of the information provided, we enrolled him for a pilot run of Program Kasthuri.
As part of this effort, Naveen was provided with full funding along with a stipend under the guidance of a mentor. He went through several non-academic training courses such as Personality Development training, English language training & a Diploma in Computer Education from NIIT.
The results after 2 years in Program Kasthuri is for us to see,
- He not only maintained his levels of performance but also excelled his score in a few semesters.
- Naveen who had been very good in his mother tongue telugu is now equally strong in English. He writes and speaks on topics of your choice with just a few hours notice & some googling.
- Passed out as the college no. 2 in his department of mechanical engineering.
- Today, he has done his parents and Swadha Foundation proud by securing a job in an IT company and works in Mumbai.